Monday, November 7, 2011

Pamela Kellman is: The Copy Chief


Pamela Kellman, our copy chief at the Buchtelite, is not studying journalism.  Our Arts and Life editor isn't either.  Neither are any of our page designers, our web editor, our managing editor, our Opinion editor or our News editor, for that matter.

And yet, Kellman said, we still end up with a very journalistic product.

"I think the quality of the paper we're producing is pretty good for a school that doesn't have a journalism program and a staff that doesn't completely have a background in what we're doing," Kellman said.

A major part of having a good quality newspaper comes from those writing for it.  Although Kellman and others on staff are pretty experienced writers, she would advise anyone considering writing to try it out.

"You've got nothing to lose really," she said.  "It's really whatever time commitment you want to put into it.  Like for me, I'm a literature student, so it's really just a different aspect of writing.  I think we're limited in what we can do with our writers.  It'd be really cool if we got to pay them."

Kellman was also able to list several benefits to being on our staff.

"I feel like I have developed an ability to work under time restrictions and balance multiple aspects of my life," she said.  "And the random dance parties.  Those are always solid.  We also listen to badass music.  I'm also really narcissistic, so I like to see my name in the paper."

No comments:

Post a Comment